Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Thinking of stopping, memory sticks and Tony Allen

Back again after another period away. I keep wondering whether these now infrequent visits mean I should give up on blogging entirely. There just does not seem to be enough hours in the day. I remember I used to say to people "You will always make time out for what really matters to you", and so I wonder if my inability to find time to blog (in my increasingly busy day) means that at some subconscious level, blogging's lost its appeal for me. On a conscious level I certainly miss it and wish I did it more often....

Dashing about on work, my memory stick has come in very handy. I can start a presentation or a report at work, save it to my memory stick, continue working on it on a laptop on the train, take it home and continue on the desktop, take it to a friend's and continue on their desktop.....the opportunities are seemingly endless. And to think that these small things can pack so much power.....perhaps one day we will just have minuscule memory sticks implanted into our fingers and we can take our stuff wherever we go......

Just finished Andrew Miller's The Optimists, an excellent book which I finished in one sitting. It's about a British photographer who witnesses a Rwanda-like massacre in an unnamed place and is haunted by it after returning to England.....he goes to some length to state that the story is NOT set in Rwanda and I'm not entirely sure why. In any case, I've been inspired to get his Booker Prize shortlisted first book, Oxygen which I start this week.....

This morning, quite a long segment of BBC Radio 4 Today's programme was devoted to Tony Allen, Fela's former percussionist, and the number of Western musicians who said their work had been inspired by him. Granted, I had never heard of half of them (including someone (Brian Eno? who invented something called ambient music) but they certainly seemed very well regarded by the Today programme.....it was good to wake up to some Afrobeat on a grey English April morning though.....and they plugged the Tony Allen Lagos No Shaking CD http://snipurl.com/p1bo

2 comments:

John Powers said...

My sense is that if you're thinking of stopping it's best to just let it rest for a while. Idon't see any reason to delete the blog, keep it around, you may find it handy occasionally.

I'm sure many of your readers are reading it in an aggregator of some sort or a reader, so when you update they'll know it.

In any case your blog is a gift and shouldn't be seen as a chore. Thanks for taking the time.

chrome said...

this is felt every now and again.

memory sticks. priceless and they just get bigger. saw a 5GB last week. incredible

It's incredible Fela's legacy. So many white musicians swear by Afrobeat. always brings a smile when i hear them waxing lyrical.