Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Deja vu everywhere, the misuse of anti-corruption laws and standing up publicly

I've written often in the past few months of the feeling of deja vu that I experience each time I read about what's going on in Abuja with regard to pushing through a third term for Obasanjo. I have drawn direct parallels to my experience in Abuja in 1997 when many of the same pundits pointed to the increase in Nigeria's foreign reserves under Abacha and the "stability" that the country had enjoyed to advocate why no one else but Abacha could or should continue as President. Today, many of these same pundits are rolling out similar arguments in support of Obasanjo. The truth is that no-one holds a monopoly on wisdom or good governance and if Obasanjo and his supporters put in half the effort they are putting into this ill-advised manouevre, to finding and preparing a credible successor, they would be a lot better off.....

But there is deja vu elsewhere, with Blair's current situation in the Labour Party being compared to the last days of Margaret Thatcher in the Conservative Party....

Meanwhile across the pond, the neo-con hawks are marshalling many of the same arguments they used a few years ago to justify going to Iraq against Iran...

It's amazing how we human beings fail to learn from history-even fairly recent history......

Today's news from Abuja suggests that because the Senate President has insisted that the legislators must vote openly in favour or against the constitutional amendment, all contracts awarded since he became Senate President are being investigated by the "Independent" Corrupt Practices Commission. It is this use of the anti-corruption agencies as a weapon of blackmail that breeds doubts in the minds of people like me about the sincerity of Obasanjo when he insists that he is committed to tackling corruption...

Personally, I think the idea of having all the legislators publicly stating their position on the 3rd term issue is fantastic. Each morning, since the debate started, I read through the list of Nigerian legislators who have spoken and see what line they have toed. I have had a few shocks- Tokunbo Ogunbanjo, an erudite and urbane lawyer who is now a Senator has spoken in favour of the constitutional changes....It's good that the debate is public so that the Nigerian people and future generations know exactly who has betrayed them.......

By the way, Nigeriaworld is still down for the 3rd day running....and there's no word on why...if anyone has got a clue, drop me a line and let me know

9 comments:

Olawunmi said...

You said:

"Personally, I think the idea of having all the legislators publicly stating their position on the 3rd term issue is fantastic. Each morning, since the debate started, I read through the list of Nigerian legislators who have spoken and see what line they have toed. I have had a few shocks- Tokunbo Ogunbanjo, an erudite and urbane lawyer who is now a Senator has spoken in favour of the constitutional changes....It's good that the debate is public so that the Nigerian people and future generations know exactly who has betrayed them......."

I agree with you whole-heartedly. Let’s see who the Ghana-must-go politicians are…

Mark Benson said...

With so much of negativities Nigeria's image gets affected but still it sure is a lovely place to come through flights to Abuja and explore the whole of Nigeria, the attractions and the wild life.

Cheapest Hajj Packages UK said...

Blogging is a great thing. I also love bloggers and I spend my free time in blogging related to Hajj and Umrah Guide. The things you described here are really good and I agree with you in all matters.

Umrah Experts Hajj Umrah Offer said...

Umrah Experts UK is a well-known travel firm that offers the discounted and luxurious Ramadan Umrah Packages for the Muslim brothers and sisters. Don’t miss at all to book your dreamy packages now!

Ady Grewal said...

I am in search of Hajj Umrah agents in UK for my Umrah before I start any other foreign tour.

Aaban Raqib said...

Blogging is an incredible thing. I additionally love bloggers and I invest my free energy in blogging identified with Hajj and Umrah Packages Guide. The things you portrayed here are great and I concur with you in all issues.

Islamic Society said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Islamic Society said...

It is an elegantly composed and enlightening bit of movement article yet I am looking for Hajj and
Best November Umrah Packages.

Abdullah Saif said...
This comment has been removed by the author.