Thursday, August 03, 2006

Breaking News? Okonjo-Iweala resigns?

Just got an e mail from the intrepid Omoyele Sowore of Sahara Reporters fame (he of the Gbenga Obasanjo interview and other allied citizen-journalist coups) alleging that Ngozi Okonjo Iweala has resigned from the cabinet http://www.saharareporters.com/dn001.php?dnid=98 Hardly surprising, if it's true- seeing my earlier post today about her being removed as chair of the economic team while she was away in London negotiating further debt relief. Interestingly enough, another Nigerian blogger, Ayoke had wondered in what may now seem to be a prophetic post, whether the time hadn't come for madam Ngozi to throw in the towel.....

How will the international lenders react? How will the other members of the economic team react? How will the vast majority of Nigerians who have even if grudgingly accepted her achievements in the economic realm react? Will it mean that the coffers of carefully husbanded foreign reserves will now be thrown open?

We'll see what unfolds tomorrow...

Looks like it's true...there's a report from Reuters quoting the Nigerian government http://snipurl.com/ucfs

3 comments:

ayoke said...

I couldn't be happier. I was unashamedly ecstatic. As to your questions on the implications, well... Shall we say que sera sera? We are in Nigeria; we have seen worse. We hope against hope for the best but we live with our reality.

uknaija said...

I wish I could be as fatalistic as you are Ayoke, my sister. Even though I understand precisely where you're coming from

ayoke said...

No, U.K. It's not fatalism. If I thought the future was irreparably bleak, I wouldn't be here. I have hope, which is foremost. It's just that I have come to terms with the fact that hope isn't time-bound. You cannot pit it down to a time for its manifestation. It takes its own time to come to pass. In that space of time where hope becomes as real as reality, we wake up to the reality which exists now.