Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Really back this time

Okay, so it's been nearly three clear weeks since my last post. Got sent to the US at rather short notice for work and it was pretty hectic so I wasn't really able to post. Not that the dizzying whirl of events in Nigeria and the UK made things any easier- from the debate about Muslims wearing veils and the media brouhaha over Madonna's adoption (or not) of a Malawian boy to the rash of impeachment notices in Nigeria- it's been dizzying to try and keep up. Anyway I'm back now and hopefully will be a bit more regular.

Virgin Atlantic have got it right with their new in-flight entertainment system. I was able to watch a number of fairly recently released films I'd been meaning to see, and the ability to pause, rewind and fastforward each film meant that you didn't have to stay in your seat with your bladder bursting for fear that you'd miss an important part of the film. I watched Scarlett Johansson in The Black Dahlia, a James Ellmore thriller set in the thirties with a suitably complex plot which I often found difficult to follow but the sight of the lovely Miss Johansson more than made up for it. Meryl Streep turned in a sterling performance in The Devil Wears Prada which wasn't a great film..I suppose no one said it was but which was funny. Richard E Grant's WahWah was also good to watch- a tale of a young English boy growing up in Swaziland in the last days of colony there as his parents' marriage falls apart. It's autobiographical and very well made. I was fortunate enough to read his account of making the film- the Wah Wah Diaries almost immediately after watching the film and it was great to gain insights into the challenges that it takes to bring a film from concept to the big screen at a seminar near you.

I'm looking forward to going to see The History Boys- the film of Alan Bennett's play which I went to see at the National two years ago and which had me leaving the theatre musing on my teachers and knowledge and learning and how I have come to be the person I am today. I thought it would be very UK specific but it was a hit on Broadway and has now been made into a film....

While I was away Kiran Desai won the Booker Prize, beating favourite Sarah Waters. I'm looking forward to reading her book especially as I didn't think Waters The Night watch was Booker material, much as I'd enjoyed it.

Looking at the attempted impeachment of Peter Obi in Anambra State, I wonder when the people of Anambra State will say enough. After all that they have endured over the last few years and the way that Obi came to power, having doggedly fought his claim through the courts for three years, you'd think they'd stand up for him. I have met him once in London and he seemed an entirely decent person with the right attitudes and values. Impeaching him will serve no useful purpose. But perhaps the forces against him may find that this is one manipulation too far for the longsuffering people of the state.

There's a ferment in Nigeria and while it may feel uncomfortable I welcome it because I'm hopeful that it portends well for our democracy. As the various players brief and counter brief against each other, the people will hopefully see our "leaders" for what they are...

Although some suggest a gameplan by Baba to create chaos since he failed to secure his third term...we'll see

3 comments:

Morountodun said...

I'm suitably impressed that Virgin have updated their inflight entertainment. I used Virgin a lot during my Ny-lon days and chose them because of their personal in-flight entertainment systems (they were the first airline I encountered that had them) but the choice of films were mainly things that had come out on video already and yes waiting till the end of a film only to have a queue at the toilets cause everyone else was doing the same used to be a pain...

Anonymous said...

I don't think the problem has ever been that we (Nigerians at home and abroad) are unaware of what our "leaders" really are. I think the problem has always been a means of expressing the disgust with the leadership that the average person feels. Political corruption is so insidious that even grassroot level politics as a means of expressing the frustrations of the people is ineffective. It is this frustration and a lack of an outlet for it that leads to the violent protests- at least until the primary agitators are quitened by bribery or illeagal use law enforcement agents.

I am really disappointed by Baba's behaviour in his last term. It's such a shame that he's chosen to go out this way. For someone who "reluctantly" took the mantle of leadership the second time around, he's certainly developed a taste for it. Such that now that he can't have his third term (something that I supported, incidently) he's resorted to throwing his toys out of the pram! Must this be the legacy of all our leaders?

ayoke said...

Are you serious "The Devil Wears Prada" wasn't a great film? Funny, I was going to see it yesterday... OBJ should know the third term is a non-issue and I don't want to believe he's behind all chaos.